01 Dec Even Santa needs the help of a List….
I think we are all guilty in today’s modern world of muttering the words ‘I’m so busy, there aren’t enough hours in the day!’
So, what can be done to help us juggle the responsibilities of being a parent, working, running a house etc. etc. etc!
I think that the first thing to say is ‘Stop! – take a moment, breathe…. ‘
Secondly, be realistic of what you can physically achieve and don’t put too much pressure on yourself.
Although, I am also guilty of saying the dreaded ‘too busy’ words, I wanted to share the methods I tend to utilise to help take back some control of how I spend my time.
- Have your desk, files, tasks etc. organised – if you know where to find something, you won’t waste time looking for it!
- Take a few minutes, either at the end of the day (or the beginning of the next day) to write your list of things to do and rank your list in priority. However, be realistic of the time that is required for each task. Slightly overestimate the time each job will take and if you haven’t used up all your time, treat yourself to a tea break.
- Be quite strict with yourself and minimise any distractions. Schedule set times in your day to check your emails and social media, and only check it at these times. Social Media and email can be the biggest time wasters throughout the day and emails will distract you from the task at hand.
- Another thing we are all guilty of is postponing those tasks that we don’t want to do. For those huge ‘unmanageable’ jobs, break them down into bite size pieces. If you can, see each task to completion – those ticks off the list are so satisfying and can leave you with a real sense of achievement.
- It is often more cost effective to pay for someone to help take on those tasks that you keep putting off. So if someone else, such as a Virtual Assistant, cleaner or bookkeeper, can help make your day easier – Delegate.
It is a well-known fact that we are more productive when we are healthy and well rested.
- So my final tip is to remember that we are a priority too – make time for you!